Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Just what the back yard needed!

We've got a picnic area, play area, compost pit, clothes line, herb and flower gardens and a fire pit and now the beginnings of a vegetable garden.

Yes, I am starting a vegetable garden! We never had the space until we moved here, a little over 5 years ago. Shortly after moving I got pregnant and have had babies to tend to. Tending to babies left me no time for a garden, although I did plant some pumpkins last year. We got one perfect little pumpkin. This summer the girls are 2 1/2 and 4, still pretty young, but old enough to help mom in the yard.

On Sunday I tilled a 25 x 18 foot section of the very back part of our yard. Yesterday the girls and I worked a bit on working the soil and removing some of the bigger chunks of sod. I'll work it a bit more today and hopefully later in the week will begin planting some of my seedlings.

I will be attempting an organic garden. I am still exploring my options on how to go about this. I figure I will most likely use my compost and some manure/compost from the horse stable down the road for fertilizer. For pest control I am thinking of planting a marigold and herb border around the garden, as suggested by my sister, as well as the use of essential oils.

Work in progress.
The back yard from closer to the house.
My thumb is only a pail green, so if anyone has any suggestions for me feel free to offer them in a comment.

1 comment:

Daisy said...

Wonderful! My garden was much like yours when I started. There are many wild bunnies in the neighborhood, so I fence it in with chicken wire. Adding compost each year has made the soil much looser and very fertile. I hope you enjoy yours!