Thursday, May 14, 2009

My Recycled Garden


This is the story of the garden, which sits right outside the bathroom window.

About 3 years ago, we were having some toilet issues and hired a plumber who told us the problem was the toilet, it was too old. We replaced the toilet and continued to have problems, which we did get fixed. In the meantime we had this old toilet that we had no idea what to do with, so we put it outside the bathroom window and used it at a planter.


Last year we removed a couple of dog kennels and sold the fencing. Under the kennels were rocks that had been cemented in. I removed them and used them as a border for my gardens.


2 years ago my dad give us a gazing ball for our anniversary, but I didn't have a stand so it sat in my garage.


This year we had to remove an ornamental grass that became diseased so not sure if planting something there would become diseased too I took the bowl off my bird bath (which was found in the garage when we moved in) and placed it over the hole and put the gazing ball in the bird bath stand.


I recently planed a geranium in the toilet and looking at my aqua globe in my living room plant thought there has got to be something I can use in my garden to self water my plants. I came up with using an empty wine bottle filled with rain water.


3 comments:

Khrys said...

I love the toilet planter! It brings a smile to my face. Perfect use for something that took so much abuse!

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent post. There are other simple things that almost anyone can do to be more green and conserve energy, like installing a ceiling fan or a Programmable Thermostat that can adjust the temperature automatically for times when it is not needed, or cleaning or replacing their Furnace Filter or Humidifier Filters with something like Aprilaire Furnace Filters or Aprilaire Humidifier Filters that are more energy efficient. Also, installing Refrigerator Water Filters instead of drinking store bought bottled water, cuts down on waste. Just some ideas that might help the cause.

Daisy said...

Wonderful ideas! A friend has a stand for a gazing ball, but she put an old disco-style mirror ball on it instead. It sits in their front yard on a fairly busy street. Gotta love her for creativity and guts!