Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Start Simple!

Part of my reasoning behind starting this blog is because a lot of my friends and family ARE NOT GREEN at all. It hurts! It hurts us all! It hurts our planet Earth!

Think about it. Look. What do you see when you drive to work, go to the store? Trash, litter, cigarette butts....everywhere! It is disgusting! When you clean your house, do your laundry, what do you smell? Chemicals! Cancer, asthma causing poisons. You might think they smell good, but do you know what those things are that are in the bottle of toxic you just sprayed all over the counter where you are gonna prep your next meal? Look at the label, do you see anything you can't pronounce? Probably. Whatever it is it is probably harmful for you and your family!

I'm not saying change everything you do to make this a healthier world to live in. I'm saying take a look around and start small. Sure some things come with a price tag. For instance I pay $3 a month to have my recycling taken away with my trash. It is so easy to do! I have 2 bags sitting next to my trash can in my kitchen. One is for paper and the other is for all of my other recyclables. Just put your 'trash' in the correct bag. It's that easy to recycle! Once you start you will be amazed at how much trash you don't have! As a family of 4 with 3 animals we put out less than on kitchen bag of trash per week. Composting helps. Composting is something I am still working on. I just toss my fruit and veggie (no meat or dairy-they may attract animals) trash into an old cat litter bucket (reuse-another way to recycle) out side then later take it to the back part of the yard into a pile and give it a little turn with my shovel. I am not very good making my leftovers into dirt yet, but am hoping to get a compost barrel and some red wiggler worms this summer to assist me with it.

To make your own cleaners is simple really. All you need are a few things to get started and you probably already have them in your own house!
Check it out!

All purpose cleaner:
Equal parts water and peroxide
Put in a spray bottle and spray away use a clean cloth or paper towel (I use a cotton diaper) to wipe a way. Works great in mirrors, windows and to get grubby little hand prints off the TV.
Peroxide is a disinfectant, but you can add Tea tree oil, Lavender oil or a citrus oil for sent and additional germ fighting power.

Powder laundry soap:
2 cups Borax 20 Team Mule
2 cups wash soda 1/3 bar grated Ivory soap.
Store in a plastic container (big butter dishes work well)
Use 2 table spoons for a full load, less for smaller loads.
I find if I dilute this in hot water before adding it to the washer it helps the granules dissolve.

Fabric softener:
1 cup baking soda
6 cups white distilled vinegar
8 cups water 15-20 drops essential oil to sent (optional)

Put the cup of baking soda in a 1 gallon container (I suggest something with a twist on lid, like an old milk jug), add 1 cup of water. With the container IN the sink very slowly add the vinegar (this will cause a reaction with the soda). Add the rest of the water and essential oil. Shake well add 1/2-1 cup during the final rinse.
I find if I dilute this in hot water before adding it to the washer it helps the granules dissolve.

You can also use a small dampened cloth with a little conditioner on it a s a dryer sheet for the dryer.

Wood polish:
3 cups of water
4 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons of distilled white vinegar
10-15 drops orange essential oil (optional) this will help kill germs and make it smell good. Mix in a spray bottle. Shake before using.

Other stuff:
You can add 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil to a gallon of water to wash windows, floors and toilets to scrub away the germs.
To chase away bugs, but a drop of tea tree oil near where they are coming in.
Lavender oil or tea tree oil can be applied directly to cuts and scrapes where it will cool the pain and help fight infection.
Mixing a few drops of tea tree oil with some water in a spray bottle can clean mold in the bathroom, so can (warmed) vinegar and borax.
Water in a spray bottle a few drops of essential oils sprayed around the room for air freshener. Mine is has lavender & patchouli in it.


It really doesn't matter what you do, but doing something helps a lot!

No comments: